Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pintos Picadillo

Today's slow cooker delight was Pintos Picadillo from Robin Robertson's book, of course.


It was really good and had a unique flavor which I contribute to the Granny Smith apple. The toasted almond slivers were a delight when crunched upon. Prep was nice and easy. Sauted an onion & red bell pepper in some olive oil then tossed that in the pot along with tomatoes, pinto beans, green chiles, a Granny Smith apple, garlic, vegetable stock, salt and pepper.

About 10 minutes before serving, in goes the brown rice, freshly toasted almond slivers and some flat leaf parsley. The recipe also calls for olives and raisins but I don't really care for either.

Recipe says 4 servings but I probably have that much in leftovers still.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite recipes, from one of my favorite cookbooks! But I've discovered that you can skip the "saute the onion" step. I just chop and dump it all in the crock pot... and 8 hours later it is all so delicious. No sauteing necessary.