Saturday, January 24, 2009

Macaroni & Cheese

I have been trying to make things that are economical and that will yield leftovers I can eat for a while. Mac & cheese fell into that category.


I used the recipe in Nava Atlas' book, The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet. Simple enough: elbow macaroni, a little flour, milk, butter and cheese. The recipe had an alternative to bake it once done, so I did that as I like crusty baked things. :-)


It was good but a bit bland. I used a white cheddar so perhaps next time I will try a more flavorful cheese; sharp cheddar, smoked gouda, something along those lines. I added a bit of freshly ground pepper upon serving.


Had a lot of leftovers that reheated well. I used a bit of salt to try & bring out some more flavors and it didn't seem to help so I went by my weird stand-by for leftover mac & cheese: a splash of Italian dressing.

No comments: