Sunday, November 05, 2006

Tofu and Bean Sprout Soup


Our second dish from The Wok Bible by Sunil Vijayakar, Becky Johnson and Jenni Fleetwood. This soup reminded me a little bit of the Vegetarian Hot Pot which we like so much. I did make a note not to use as much lime juice next time as it overpowered the overall flavor for me. It called for the juice of one small lime; I think half a lime will be sufficient. I think I added a bit more chopped peanuts than needed per bowl but I didn't want to waste the ones I chopped (not realizing I was only making 2 bowls not 4 and wasn't sure about putting the nuts in the leftover containers). Other than that, it was very yummy. The sprouts added a nice crunchy texture to the noodles. At first I thought the mixture of fresh herbs (mint, cilantro and basil) sounded odd, but they complimented each other quite nice. I even went so far as the slice some green onion and red bell pepper for garnish which gave it a great splash of color as you can see. A good soup that we will make again; prep was pretty easy.

No comments: